This is my first meme and I am not sure I know the process.Thanks a lot, RP of My Workshop for tagging me. I guess this is like a relay where I get to take off from where RP left.
10 things seems so little to encapsulate my mom's cooking. I grew up on mom's food and all through my school years, I yearned to eat out for a change. But the moment I left home for undergraduation, everything I took for granted became a luxury only to be sampled insatiably during vacations and holidays. Even now, when I go home, I start nagging her to make something or the other.
So here is my list of 10 things of mom's cooking:
1.Mutton Biryani....everyone's mom makes the best biryani or so they think. She makes it the traditional "dum" way, with the rice and meat cooking together.It just infuses the rice with so much flavour.
2. Her cakes. Just plain old vanilla cake, but so light, you block out the calories as you eat. Made from scratch, using good old elbow power. When I was home, my father and I were the egg beaters and mixers.
3. Tapioca payasam with plantains.
4. Beef curry. The kind that has a layer of oil floating on top. Do I hear "eews, gross"? That curry with crusty bread.
5. Fish curry. Any kind.
6. Mango pickle. Not kanni manga, but the one with the mango chopped into tiny pieces, tempered with mustard seeds.
7. Wheat porridge (Godambu Varatiyathu). Eaten hot with sugar and ghee.
8. Lentil (Parippu) curry.
9. Stuffed mussels (Kadukka Neruchathu)
10. Last , but not the least beef samosas.
Maybe we should follow this up with things you miss from your grandmother or favourite aunt.I am not sure who has not yet joined the meme, so please feel free to post. Its nostalgic to read everyone's posts.