July 15, 2006
Spicy Grilled FIsh/ Chutta meen
My first contribution to the simple series is a grilled fish. Marinated in a spicy blend of green chilies, parley, garlic, lemon juice and salt.
You will need:
Fish – 1 lb or 4 pieces. Any fish fillet or steak pieces (Tilapia/ Tuna/ Catfish/ Swordfish)
Garlic - 5 cloves.
Green chilies – 14 small ones (use less for less heat)
Lime juice- 4 tbsp
Olive oil – 5 tbsp
Sea salt – to taste
Parsley/ Coriander leaves – 1 bunch (enough to make 1 cup after grinding)
1. Wash the fish and keep aside. You don’t need to wash it if it is fillets.
2. Grind all the ingredients together with oil and lime juice. Don’t add water unless it is too dry. It should be smooth with a chutney-like consistency. Taste and add more salt /lemon juice as suited to your palate.
3. Marinate the fish pieces in this blend for an hour or more in the refrigerator.
4. Preheat grill to 350 F. Or use the broiler in the cooking range.
5. Use foil or a nonstick tray on the grill. Spray/ brush a layer of oil on it and lay the fish fillets gently.
6. Grill on each side for 5 minutes or so. Turn over and sear the other side. The cooking time varies with the fish. The tuna steaks took about 8 minutes on either side.
7. Serve with a wedge of lemon and some mint chutney on the side.