September 29, 2006

Malabar Meat Samosas/ Meat Stuffed Savoury Pastries


Ramazan, our month of fasting started last weekend and that of course brought back memories of home. So this month, I am going recreate as many of the delicacies as I can in an effort to make my family and my extended blogosphere family enjoy the little known traditional food.
This is one of the Ramazan specialities, samosas filled with meat. It is made completely by hand but feel free to replace with ready wrappers or ground meat or even chicken. Ground meat changes the texture but tastes similar. Though if making with chicken, no need to pressure cook, just cook the boneless pieces in the spices and chop it up.
Back home, there is a vegetarian version of this samosa which I will post later today. It is made with just onion, carrots and green chilies, but tastes great. Also, the quantity of onions to meat is a personal preference. Increase or decrease as you like.
Forgive the quality of the photos, my camera is acting funny today. But I had to post so did it anyway.
For meat filling (makes about 24 samosas)
Boneless Beef/Mutton -1 lbs
Ginger -1 inch long piece
Garlic -5 cloves
Green chilies- 6
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Roasted Coriander powder – 1 1/2 tbsp
Red chilli powder -1 tsp
Black pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds -1/2 tsp
Fennel powder -1/2 tsp
Mint, curry leaves, coriander leaves - A handful of each, washed and chopped
Salt to taste
For Sautéing:

Onions – 1 1/2 lb (5 medium ones)
Small green chilies -8
Curry leaves- A handful
Oil- 2-3 tbsp
Preparation:
1. Clean and cut the meat into small pieces. Grind ginger, green chilies and garlic into a paste. Mix everything with the meat, including the spice powders and leaves.
2. In a thick bottom sauté pan or pressure cooker, add the marinated meat and let it cook uncovered for 5 minutes. No need to add any oil at this stage. When the meat starts releasing its excess water, place the lid and let it cook for 3-4 minutes after the first whistling sound. Take it off the flame and open after the steam is fully released. If there is excess gravy, simmer uncovered for 5-10 minutes to evaporate it.
Slow cook the meat covered on low heat for almost 1hr if you do not have a pressure cooker.
3. Meanwhile, chop the onions, green chilies and curry leaves into very fine pieces.
When the meat cools down, chop that also. You could use a chopper for this.
4. Heat the oil, and sauté the cut onions, chilies and meat on medium high heat till it looks dry and slightly separated. Keep stirring to avoid the mix from sticking to the base. When the mix cools down, the filling is ready.
P.S.If onions were cut by the chopper, it becomes a bit moister so the frying time increases.

The wrapper for the Malabar Samosas are traditionally handmade and are not as crisp as those of the north indian potato samosas. Still, the same filling can be used with store bought samosa wrappers too. The traditional style is explained below.

For the wrapper dough:
1 1/2 cup wheat flour
3/4 cup all purpose flour
½ tsp salt and 2 tsp oil.

5. Make the dough the same way as for Triangular paratha. The dough should be hard but pliable else it would be difficult to roll it out. Cover with plastic wrap and keep aside for at least 15 minutes. Divide into even sized balls...about the size of a medium lemon.
6. Roll it out evenly till about 7-8 inch in diameter (Ah yes; now we need a measuring tape while cooking). Cut it into four quarters as shown.

Disclaimer: The following steps are for the truly uninitiated and are prone to misinterpretation. Still I will try and explain as well as I can. If you already know how to do it, just go ahead and make the samosas.

7. Take one quarter and revolve it along the curved edge till the two ends meet. Spread a drop of water along the edge and seal it to make a cone as shown. Now fill with 2 tsp of filling (or less). Wet the remaining flap and turn it over and seal over the cone. Now repeat and make more till you get tired. The filling can be kept in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.

8. Heat about 1 ½ cups of oil in a wok or deep frying pan. When it is quite hot, reduce the heat to medium. Slide 4-5 samosas one by one, taking care to plop it in. Fry it like a puri. Turn over once immediately, and fry for 2-3 minutes or less. Turn over and fry the other side till golden flecks appear. Drain and serve hot.

,

18 comments:

indosungod said...

Shaheen, the pictures look perfect to me and look absolutely delicios. I love mutton samosas. They used to have mutton puffs in bakeries growing up in India , they were awesome, these days they don't have them and they have chicken puffs which don't that good. Your post reminded me of that.

Anonymous said...

wow..wow..wow..shaheen...Good going my dear...!!

RP said...

Looks great shaheen.
I wonder why it wouldn't taste the same when I use ground meat!
Your wrapper dough recipe using whole wheat flour sounds good.
Looking forward to seeing more Ramazan recipe from you. Happy Ramazan!

Nabeela said...

ooooh those look yummy. I wish I had a couple for iftaar today

Ashwini said...

Oh come one the pics are great...We used to get kheema stuffed samosas at a bakery near our home. You had to rush to buy them coz they'd be gone in a hour!Between you and Nabby I am so happy to see some super yummy Ramzaan treat around blogosphere ;-)

Maneka Nirmal said...

I had a Muslim friend in my B-tech class from Pondicheri and I used to be a regular guest at her home during Ramzan. . I love all foods and meat samaosas r one of my favorites. Here u r eating all that good stuff and didn’t have a courtesy to invite us..Very bad..o.k.. I forgive u for this time.. Hey shaheen I was just kidding. Wishing u and your family a very happy RAMZAN..

starry said...

Loved this picture you posted, just wanted to reach out and help myself to one samosa.thanks for sharing this recipe.

Unknown said...

Hi Shaheen,
Step by step pictures look good. I make samosas by rolling the semicircle and urs is a bit different.. thanks

Anonymous said...

i always used to wonder abt the triangular shape. i could never get it rt. thanx 4 the folding tip. due to navrathri on a veg diet now, so shall try them nxt week n let u know.
ki

Shah cooks said...

Indosun, I didn't know mutton samosas were phased out of india.:) "Spicyana" had some great meat puffs if u want to try ur hand at that. Sometimes I think I like puffs more than samosas.

Annita, thanks so much. Now if only you would try and let me know.

RP, Thanks for your wishes. I think ground meat would also taste similar, but the texture reminds me then of meat puffs.

Nabee, WIsh I could send some to you.

Ashwini, that was a nostalgic memory. You can see more ramzan based cooking and try them.

Monisha, my camera was not focussing and i was getting fussy. But now with all of u saying its fine, I feel ridiculous.:)The adeptness comes from years of making samosas while at home. and you are right, it may taste good with turkey.

Maneka, Thank you so much for the kind words. You are welcome to eat all the goodies any time. Open invitation.Make sure you fast though.:) Nice to know u are already familiar with all the muslim food.

Starry nights, so you are one who took the missing samosa. And i was blaming my hub.

Prema,Thanks. tell me how u make with semi circle. Hope to see ur post soon.

Anonymous said...

It's yummmmmmmmmm......shaheen Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi Shaheen..my hand almost reached out to taste those veg..samosas!great recipe as well as photos!

archana said...

Excellent Shaheen, these step by step photos are so useful. Looking forward to read more of your Ramzan journey posts. May all your prayers be answered, have a blessed Ramzan.

Anonymous said...

Hi Shaheen -- as one of the truly uninitiated, I really appreciate the step-by-step instructions, very clear and easy to follow, and the great recipes. I am bookmarking this for a winter's weekend in the kitchen - thanks so much.

Rooma said...

Hi shaheen, I had put my comments but can't see them here...... thanks for dropping by my blog.... and see the coincidence, I also posted a samosa recipee..... yours is different though, must try it out. :)

Shah cooks said...

Lera, Madhuli, Thanks.

Archana, Thanks for all your good wishes.

Linda, from scratch to finish it would take an hour, but if the filling is made and kept, it is easy to make.

Rooma, u did leave ur comment, but it was in the veg samosa post.:) thanks for stopping by and i look forward to ur post.

Zerin said...

hi shaheen,
since the ramdan time is approaching, i was planning on making batches of snacks and freezing it. I was wondering if this samosas can be freezed? what i usually do is make samosas using ready made wrappers and freeze it. will it be ok if i freeze samosas with the fresh dough?

Shah cooks said...

zerin, u can make and freeze them individually..lay them out on a greased plate with enough space around..after freezing, put them in ziplock bags.. they won't stick to each other.defrost slightly before frying. i don't guarantee the taste as they taste best freshly made but do try and let me know.make sure the dough has oil in it and is hard..not watery.