December 13, 2006

Payar Thoran/ Steamed Yard Long Beans


The yard long beans are the really long thin beans which are available in both dark green and pale green colors. The dark green ones have a thicker skin and take longer to cook than the thin skinned pale green ones. The paler version tastes similar to the ones we get back home so whenever I find it at the Asian stores, I have to get it right away. It has a softer taste and texture, and my son loves it. Back home, this is a farm fresh item on the lunch table and this steamed and partially stir-fried beans recipe has just green chilies, mustard and coconut to bring out its texture. I like to cut it into tiny pieces but you could cut into an inch long piece also.

The photo on the right shows dark green yard long beans that grew in my vegetable patch last year. I had planted the imported seeds of a pale green beans but the beans that grew turned out to be dark green.

You will need:
White Yard Long Beans-1 bunch chopped finely
Mustard Seeds-1 tsp
Turmeric-A pinch
Green Chilies-2 slit vertically
Curry leaves- 1 sprig
Grated Coconut-1 1/2 tbsp
Oil-1 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste

Preparation:
1. Heat the oil in a small wok/pan and as it heats up, add mustard seeds and cover till it stops spluttering. Reduce the heat and add the curry leaves and chilies and stir once. Add the beans, salt, turmeric and 1 tbsp water. Cover and cook on medium flame for 5-10 mins till all the beans gets cooked. Open, check seasoning and add the grated coconut, mix and keep covered for a minute. Serve with rice.

, , , ,

13 comments:

FH said...

I love these beans,occasionally I get them in the super market here.Love to try your version too!

Bong Mom said...

Loved the plant in your backyard and the recipe. Which part of jersey are you in ?

Anonymous said...

Hey Shaheen, I have seen that long beans nudging at me while driving through Randolphville. Never knew it was yours :) Really cool to have your won veggies in your backyard. Isn't it lovely?

Priya said...

Wow....the dish looks so simple and yet mouth-watering..I am going to go look for some during my next visit to the grocers.

Anonymous said...

How did you grow those beans? Did you have to put up a frame? This was my favorite dish but haven't made it in a long time.

Anonymous said...

You know we call them upkaris. I like such preparations because they keep the flavor the veges intact ~ Ashwini

indosungod said...

Shaheen, I grew them once and it attracted a lot of ants, I stopped from then on but the taste was really good. Is it called thattakkai?

Unknown said...

they look sublime. i buy them but feel v tired when i have to cook them, and the result looks tired too! :)

Inji Pennu said...

Your first picture looks too good for a simple achinga payar! :)

Shah cooks said...

Asha, I like these more than the dark green ones, but like u said, only get them occasionally.

Sandeepa, I am in Central NJ.

Babli, These are from last year's photos..wish I had some this year.

Priya, It is good if u like beans. I remember someone telling us that they hated beans.I am still trying to remember who it was.

Gini, I did put up a very crude frame of bamboo sticks tied together. Hi hi the seeds were from home.

Ashwini, i agree, and such recipes are our version of simple side dishes.

Sra, do make them again. Just undercook for a minute as they continue cooking evewn after they are off the fire.

Inji, Thanks.. achinga payar is so yummy back home.My mom has a ton in her backyard and she had planted these last year when she came here.

Unknown said...

My fav. long beans..i make poriyal with this...

amna said...

loved ur blog. Am so very interested in cooking but time doesnt permit too many experiments. Have added a link to your blog in mine, hope thats ok. will submit some requests soon.

Indian Cuisine Blogroll said...

Shaheen,
nice pic of payar..I made payar thoran the other day.. I have put a link to your recipe in my blog..hope you don't mind
Deepa