April 30, 2011

Malabar Porotta... A Pictorial





The dough has to soak in the oil for at least 3-4 hours to loosen the dough.
The dough is stretched to become paper thin ..
should be  almost see thru like a tissue.
Gather up the sheet, length wise, 
folding it  like a paper fan and then roll it up. 



Some may get bubbles with air trapped inside..its fine.




Flatten the roll with hand or with a pastry roller, 
allowing the porotta to rest for a few minutes in between if it offers resistance.

Cook on medium high heat  on a griddle with very little oil. When one side turns opaque, flip and cook the other side. Apply a little oil so it stays soft longer. As soon as its removed from the griddle, fluff it up with both hands to loosen the layers. It's like hitting the sides of the porotta to dislodge the layers.

The Dough Recipe:
King Arthur Bread Flour or Maida – 2 cups
Water – 1 cup or a bit more.

1 Beaten egg (optional.. it just makes it softer)
Oil – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste



Make a smooth though loose dough with the ingredients.. use water to your judgement. Keep it aside covered in an oiled bowl for about 1 hour. Take it out and make small 2 inch size rolls and place on a wide oiled plate. Pour 2-4 tbsp oil or even more, so that the balls soak in the oil. Cover with a thin cloth or plastic wrap and keep in a warm space for 3-4 hours. Then stretch each ball to paper tissue thickness and then gather it and roll it up. Flatten with the palm of your hand or roller and cook on a griddle on both sides till golden brown.

28 comments:

Irene said...

Yummy... Looks very. Would love to have some hot porotta right now with some chicken curry :)

Nitha said...

porotta yum beef um... yummm.....

Binys Recipes said...

wow malabar porotta...looks gud and yummy...love the step by step process as well

Mamatha said...

This Looks awasome and easy to do to..But I am sure it will be lot of practice.

Suman Singh said...

Wow..porotta looks great and perfect..was looking for the perfect recipe..I guess my search ends here..thanks for sharing!

Sobha Shyam said...

Wow..porotta looks awesome...nice pictorial presentation. :)

Myra said...

Shaheen,what beautiful photo's,they look like "Roses"
recipe coming later?
yours Myra xx

cook from doha said...

malabar porotta looks very nice..........

Mona said...

Ah, your post made my mouth water. Yummy!

Anonymous said...

this was one of the recipe i have been waiting to see. thank you.

Lubna

Srivalli said...

Looks awesome!..

amna said...

ah this is a must-try for me.

Jyothsna said...

I am a huge fan of this parotta. Some questions: how long will this remain soft once cooked? I mean does it have to be served straight off the stove or can I make a bunch and keep it wrapped in foil?

Shah cooks said...

jyo, u can make this and place it in a casserole or wrap in foil to. stays fresh longer than regular rotis.

Anonymous said...

Makes me want to make it right now. Looks super drooly:)

Vini said...

superb..you make it look really easy. should give this a try. I am back to blogging after a long break. do check out my blog!!

Andrew said...

Look wonderful. Can't wait to try out this portotta! Thanks for the recipe!

Alia said...

Wow! I have always wanted this recipe so badly! Im following ur blog as well as ur page on FB! :)

Alia

http://aliascreativelife.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Oh it looks lovely... I must try it ASAP. Thanks a lot. This is an item I made and failed I hope it comes out well now

Cheers
Anisha

Jayashree said...

This looks so good.....I haven't mustered the courage to try this at home yet.

Pravs said...

Fantastic ! makes it look easy with the pictures.

Bharathy said...

Wowoeowiie!!!! Perfect parathas!
I just had parathas for dinner too :)still I am craving for one more after seeing yours! :)

Nice to see your comment in my post shn :)..believe me or not I love your caramel custard the best among all..couldnt stop thinking of that when i posted mine..:)

Linda said...

Wow S, doesn't this look so delicious, how could anyone resist trying!

I was so relieved, after skimming your prev. post, that Kerala Mela was still there. I admit to being a lurker and not expressing my appreciation for that site till now -- your old neighbor to the north surely hopes you'll leave it up :)

Parita said...

Bookmarked! A must try for me..thanks for the pictorial!

Mandira said...

thanks for making it look doable! Deliciousness.

Rinku Naveen said...

Super!!! Love parotta. And thanks for the step by step.
Happy to follow u..

http://kitchentreats.blogspot.com/

Recent blog..Kinnathappam Malabar Style

RShan said...

Many years ago, we had a maid who worked with us very briefly- barely a couple of months. She made these parottas once for us- we have never forgotten them ( it's a different issue that I will also never forget that she hoodwinked us and left taking a generous sum because she said her father committed suicide!)

It's an art and you have managed to make it look so simple! Thanks for the effort!

RShan said...

That was me Miri from Peppermill