May 31, 2006
Shrimp-Drumstick Curry/ Chemmeen-Muringakka Chaaru
This is a curry which doesn't have a singular name and rather has a list of ingredients as its identity. It is a summery dish made special by the availabilty of bits and pieces of local flavours. A piece of unripe mango, some drumsticks, some jackfruit seeds leftover from an overindulgence of jackfruit eating, and some shrimps to give it the semblance of a fish curry. Everything thats found in my parent's house during the humid summer, and everything I buy from the freezer section here in an effort to recreate the monsoon magic.
Cooking time:15 mins but preparation time is another 5 mins.
You will need:
Shrimp-1/4 kg or 1/2 lb, cleaned and sliced into a suitable size.
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
Aniseed powder-1/2 tsp
Green Mango- 1/2. cut into big slices.
Drumsticks- 2 long ones, cut into 3 inch pieces.
Jackfruit seeds- 10-15 nos, without skin.
Onion- 1 medium size one chopped finely
Green chillies - 5 nos sliced
Garlic cloves - 3 cloves
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Salt - to taste
Fenugreek- 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 10 nos
Small onions/shallots- 4 nos chopped
1. Wash the shrimps and lightly toss it with salt and rinse again. Drain well onto paper towels or slotted drainer.
2.Crush the ginger and garlic together.
3. Grind coconut and aniseed together with very little water and keep aside. The consistency of the paste should be smooth and not too watery.
4. Heat the oil lightly and add onions. Saute it till it turns transparent and then add the green chillies, ginger, garlic.
5. Fry for a minute and then add the mango, drumsticks, jackfruit seeds and 1 cup water. Add the spices. When the mango is cooked, add the shrimps and salt.
6. When it boils, lower the heat and add the coconut paste mixed with 1/4 cup water. Check for salt and add if needed. Simmer on low heat for another 4-5 mins.
7. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. Season with fenugrrek seeds, curry leaves and shallots.Fry for
a minute till the shallots turn light brown and pour over the curry.
Serve with rice.