August 10, 2006

Kadukka Varuthathu/Mussel Fry


Mussels, known commonly as Kadukka or Kallumakai(literally "the berry on the rock")is a shell fish harvested from the rocks near the coast or now cultivated in freshwater fields. For the uniniated, if you like clam, you will like mussels.Fresh mussel meat has about the same amount of protein as beef steak, must less fat, 25% less calories and many more mineral nutrients.
I have tried the ones available in the local supermarkets, Chinese grocery stores and found that the frozen mussels in half shells from New Zealand have the freshest taste. Ironical, but true.If you buy from the supermarket, they are perishable and will keep for only 24 hours in the refrigerator before starting to open. If you wish to eat them later, it's best to freeze them whole or shell them and freeze the meat in its own liquid in an airtight container.


More about them later. For now, you just have to remove the meat from the half shell and cut off the top corner part which looks blackish. If you buy whole mussels, try this link for cleaning instructions.

Mussels(Kadukka)- 1/2 lb
Red chili powder- 2 tsp
Turmeric- 3/4 tsp
Salt- to taste
1. Wash the mussels well and allow them to drain.
2. Mix all the spices together and marinate the mussels in this for 15 mins at least. If more than that, marinate in the fridge.
3. Heat 1/2 cup oil in a deep wok/pan and when it gets a little hot, add the mussels. Fry on medium heat for 5-7 mins on either side. Fry for a longer time if you want it crispier. How crispy it should get varies with individual taste.
Serve hot.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! nice presentation Shaheen. So this is how cooked mussels looks like, huh?

My folks don't make kallumakai and njandu at all, so I don't have a clue of how to clean them up or cook them up. I've heard both tastes very good though. Now that you've mentioned the frozen mussels taste better, I'll sure give it a try. thanks a lot...

I'll be trying your beef cutlet today...will let you know how it turned out for me. thanks again.

Rg.

RP said...

Wow! We love mussels. Bought frozen mussels from Walmart twice. Not that satisfied, but will buy again to try this recipe. I will look for the brand you suggested. Thank you shaheen.

Off topic: When you make neypathiris, would they puff up like pooris? I tried it once long time ago, and they didn't puff up.

Anonymous said...

I have never tried mussels. But I love clams, so I think this also will be similar. I will give it a try soon. Thanks for sharing.

indianadoc said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
indianadoc said...

Shaheen your mussels look great!!Real good size too!! I ws just thinking... back home once the season for mussels start almost everyday we have this Mussels fry or in many other combinations!! Oh,I love it...My father used to love them too but because his doctors had advised him not to have these shell fish as they induce cholesterol,my mom used to be very strict...bt I used to sneakingly give him extra...you have brought in so many memories...

azma said...

hi! thanks shaheen...i did buy these new zealand ones.as im typing this they are being cooked..i found some fresh ones at the sea food market..and while they were really small they made some excellent stuffed mussels!!!!

H said...

Tried This!! It Was perfect!! Thanks a lot!!