December 08, 2006
Stir Fried Chicken with Mushrooms and Cashews
A quick stir fry to liven up the dinner/lunch table and answer the question..hmm what shall I cook today? Use the basic spices and vary the vegetables as you have available.
You will need: Serves 3
Chicken-1/2 lb Boneless or use 1 chicken breast cut into pieces.
Dried Mushrooms (Shitake)- A handful
Any Bell Pepper/Capsicum (Optional)- 1/3 of a pepper
Green Chilies -2
Red dried chili-3
Ginger- ½ inch crushed
Scallions/Green Onion-3 stalks
Soy Sauce-2 tsp
Oyster Sauce-1/2 tsp
1/2 tsp black pepper
Salt to taste
1. Soak the dried mushroom in warm water for 20-30 minutes and squeeze out excess water and slice finely. Marinate the chicken in the soy sauce and oyster sauce for the same time.
2. Dice the bell pepper and chicken into the 1/2 inch squares.(The chicken should also be the same size cubes.) Keep the green part of the scallions to be added in the end.
3. Dry roast the cashews on low heat till fragrant and crisp. Alternatively, to make it richer, fry the cashews in a bit of oil till golden.
4. Heat the wok or pan to a high heat and add the onion and peppers. Stir fry on high heat for a minute and then lower heat and add the chilies, ginger, garlic, mushroom and stir fry again. After a minute, add the chicken and fry for at least 5-8 minutes or till the chicken gets cooked. From experience, I learnt not to mess with the size of chicken. Boneless tiny pieces is better off as then it gets cooked in the same time as the other ingredients. Check soy sauce and add a tiny bit more if needed.
5. When the chicken is cooked, add the cashewnuts, pepper, scallion’s green stem chopped and the lime juice. Toss well and adjust salt as required. If there is a lot of liquid left, add ¼ tsp of corn flour mixed with 2 tbsp water and let it simmer to thicken the sauce.
P.S. Use only dried mushrooms for this dish. It has a smoky intense taste which are lacking in the fresh ones. Any kind of dried ones (availiable at any Asian grocery store) will do but in this recipe, I used Shitake mushrooms. Also use dried whole red peppers not pepper flakes.
Chicken Stirfry, Chicken, Mushroom, Cashewnut, Food Blog, Indian Recipes, Spicy Recipes
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
Chicken,Cashews and pepper!! I don't need anything else.Thank you:)
Chalo,Gale lug jao phir se!!!
OMG..What a treat..Shaheen...I'm sure i'm gonna love this dish..
scrumptious it looks. so does your tapioca
Beautiful photograph... makes me wanna grab and go!
Stir fried chicken looks delicious.
Shaheen, perfect for our weekend lunch. I was craving chicken and have a ton of cashews my mum sent from Dubai. This could not be easier and better.
Shaheen, this looks great.
What kind of dried mushrooms did your use?
gr8 photo . i
lovely photo, and what a combo, mouthwatering
Looks amazing Shaheen. Cashews and chicken is a greata combo :).
Oh my... this dish looks and sounds absolutely perfect!
What a winderful looking dish Shaheen. Shall try getting dried mushroom
i like cooking with nuts
Pepper, cashews, mushrooms and chicken - all my favorite ingredients in one recipe! This is too good. Thanks
Thanks all and I do hope to see u all writing in after u tried it.
Are you giving us a treat...what a wonderful dish with all my favourite ingredients...Cashews, chicken and peppers and that too stir fried? :)
I am here for the first time and will keep visiting for more visual treats.
Happy Holidays...Cheers, Nidhi.
Welcome Nidhi, I am sure u will like the whole recipe as u already like it in parts.
Post a Comment